Key laws and policies
Statute governs embryology lab practices and treatments.
- Algeria is a Shi'a nation. Islam is the religion of the State (Art. 2). Arabic is the national and official language (Art. 3).
- There are over a dozen IVF clinics across the country that may be accessed by married couples.
- Status of the conceptus is recognized at 15 days.
- Sperm donation
- Egg donation
- Embryo donation
- Fetal reduction
- Embryo experimentation not accepted
Permitted and regulated practices
- Cryopreservation of fertilized eggs and oocytes allowed and practiced
- Cryopreservation of ovarian or testicular tissue not permitted
- Storage of cryopreserved eggs 5 years
- Although no insurance coverage is available for techniques, the drugs used for ART are nevertheless reimbursed.