Revision as of 16:09, 13 July 2015 by Natalie Oveyssi
Key laws and policies
- IVF is regulated by the Draft Law on Assisted Reproductive Technologies and Code of Medical Ethics, which has been adopted by the Ministry of Health.
- The draft law prohibits:
- Gamete donation
- Sex-based embryo selection
- Embryo manipulation
Violations of the draft law are penalized.
Permitted and regulated practices
- Assisted reproductive treatments such as artificial insemination and IVF have been practiced in Lebanon since the early 1980s.
- Art 30 of the Medical Ethics code states that assisted reproductive treatments are only to be provided to married couples.
Prenatal Diagnosis and Abortion
- Prenatal diagnoses and selective abortion are only permitted to save the life of the mother.