Key laws and policies
Malaysian Medical Council, Guideline of the Malaysian Medical Council, 003/2006 - Assisted Reproduction, available at http://www.mmc.gov.my/v1/docs/Assisted%20Reproduction.pdf, (accessed 22 February 2015).
Malaysia is a Muslim-majority nation where Islam is the official religion. There is currently a fatwa (an Islamic religious ruling) banning surrogacy. The fatwa was issued in 2008 by the National Council of Islamic Religious Affairs.
- Research on gametes or embryos
- Commercial trading in eggs, sperm, or embryos
- Posthumous use of gametes
- Use of ART by unmarried people
Permitted and regulated practices
The guidelines permit:
- Sex selection for medical reasons
- Egg, sperm, and embryo donation