Key laws and policies
ASSISTED REPRODUCTION Malaysian Medical Council, Guideline of the Malaysian Medical Council, 003/2006 - Assisted Reproduction. (Available at http://www.mmc.gov.my/v1/docs/Assisted%20Reproduction.pdf - accessed 22 February 2015).
Malaysia, a Muslim-majority nation where Islam is the official religion. There is currently a fatwa (an Islamic religious ruling) banning surrogacy. The fatwa was issued in 2008 by The National Council of Islamic Religious Affairs
- Research on gametes or embryos
- Commercial trading in eggs, sperm, or embryos
- Posthumous use of gametes
- Use of ART by unmarried people.
Permitted and regulated practices
The guidelines permit:
- sex selection for medical reasons
- egg, sperm and embryo donation