Key laws and policies
- Act on Family Planning, Human Embryo Protection and Conditions of Legal Pregnancy Termination (January 1993)
- Act on the Medical Profession (Dz. U. z 2002 r. Nr 21 poz. 204 z pó˚n. zm.) (December 5, 1996)
- The Health Care Institutions Act of April 15, 2011
- The Medical Ethics Code (http://isap.sejm.gov.pl/DetailsServlet?id=WDU20030900845)
"The right to life enjoys protection, including the pre-natal phase, within limits specified in the Act." (Article 1 of the Act on Family Planning, Human Embryo Protection and Conditions of Legal Pregnancy Termination )
The following acts are prohibited:
- Research using embryos
- Research using cell products derived from embryos
- Cloning is prohibited implicitly and specifically by the Code of Ethics for physicians.
NB. Surrogacy arrangements are contrary to the general principles of the Polish law concerning filiation, they are considered null and void under art. 58 of the Polish Civil Code.
There have been attempts to regulate the in vitro methods but none of the draft proposals gained sufficient support.