Property:Eggs for research
Women’s eggs have been regularly used for scientific research since at least the 1960’s, when in vitro fertilization and other assisted reproduction techniques were being developed. The use of women’s eggs for research increased dramatically over the past decade as a consequence of the growing interest in embryonic stem cell research.
Some countries prohibit the use of women’s eggs for research. Others allow such use but prohibit payment for these eggs beyond reasonable compensation for expenses. Other countries have no laws or policies addressing either the use of women’s eggs or the level of compensation that is permitted.
 Table: National policies
The Table shows policies currently in effect regarding the use of women’s eggs for scientific research.
- PROHIBITED: This practice is prohibited by national law or policies having the force of law.
- commercial prohibited: Commercial use of this practice is prohibited by national law or policies having the force of law, but non-commercial use is allowed.
- commercial allowed: Commercial use of this practice is allowed by national law or policies having the force of law.
- permitted: This practice is allowed by national law or policies having the force of law, but policies concerning compensation are unknown.
- no policy: This practice is not addressed by national law or policies having the force of law.
- ?: It is unknown whether this practice is addressed by national law or policies having the force of law.
Note: The categories defined in the key and used in the table characterize the polices in any given country in a broad manner. Consult the page for each country for more detailed accounts of current policies.
You can click the icon in any column heading to sort by that column. To sort the other direction, click it again.
Pages using the property "Eggs for research"
Showing 25 pages using this property.(previous 25) (next 25)
|Burkina Faso +||?|
|Canada +||commercial prohibited|
|Cape Verde +||?|
|Central African Republic +||?|
|China +||commercial prohibited|
|Cook Islands +||?|
|Costa Rica +||?|
|Croatia +||no policy|
|Czech Republic +||?|
|Côte d'Ivoire +||?|
|Democratic Republic of the Congo +||?|
|Dominican Republic +||?|