Key laws and policies
There are no specific laws in Saudi Arabia on the issues discussed in this BioPolicy Wiki.
However, ART is addressed in Saudi Arabia under the regulation of IVF Units, Embryos, and Infertility Management No 2870/1/12.
IVF Units are required to adhere to Islamic fatwas.
- Egg donation
- Sperm donation
- Posthumous use of gametes
- Embryo experimentation
Permitted and regulated practices
- Pre-implantation genetic diagnosis is permitted for gene therapy.
- Preservation of embryos is permitted with consent of the couple.
- Assisted reproduction in Saudi Arabia, available at http://www.kau.edu.sa/Files/140/Researches/59099_29447.pdf, (accessed 23 February 2015).
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation, Cairo Office, "Ethics and the Law in Biomedicine and Genetics: An Overview of National Regulations in the Arab States," 2011, available at http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0021/002152/215207E.pdf, (accessed 22 February 2015).